When float tanks were introduced to the public in the 1980s, I jumped in with both feet. The experience reminded me of my previous scuba diving adventures in Hawaii. I also realized I could easily adjust to sensory deprivation.

Decades later, in 2018, I was invited to an event that offered the opportunity to float. I looked forward to it, but I had forgotten the rules. During the first few minutes of floating, I put my hand to my face and got the saltwater in my eyes. Needless to say, I was miserable nearly the entire float.

Fast forward to 2021.

My younger brother died unexpectedly in mid-October. The grief I felt was deep and constant. The process of loss can not only cause psychological but physical trauma, as well. As for me, I felt a heaviness in my heart that started to worry me. I expressed that to Liz and Tanner, owners of Lizard Yoga, because I was working on the LizardYoga.com website at the time, and I needed time to recuperate from the grief.

Liz and Tanner were full of compassion. Lovingly, they offered me a complimentary float session to reset and find some peace and stillness.

I entered the studio for the first time, where I was warmly received by a receptionist. She asked me if I wanted some tea and told me to watch a video that prepared me for my float. The information was helpful. Even though I had floated many times, I learned some things I had never heard before.

I was guided to one of the flotation rooms. Everything was prepared for me and nicely laid out. There was a spray bottle filled with fresh water inside the tank, just in case. Brilliant!

I was offered the choice to keep the music on for the entire 60 minutes. I opted out.

A few minutes after I got in, the music faded out softly, as did the light…

Surprisingly, my mind wasn’t racing in all directions. Almost involuntarily, I began to meditate. In my mind’s eye, I had very peaceful visions. Most of the time, I was “in the gap.” My thoughts, when I did have them, were few and far between.

It’s easier to feel the body when you’re floating in saltwater, and I noticed some pain in my right shoulder from working on the computer a lot. I asked the pain how to release it and immediately had the urge to stretch my body, which seemed to stretch further than I have experienced in a while. I did this a few times until the pain subsided. Following that process, I had the urge to breathe. My lungs filled up to their maximum capacity. I held my breath for a second and slowly exhaled. I did this multiple times and felt completely at peace as I floated in the stillness. The body temperature liquid carried me effortlessly and reminded me what it must have been like to be a baby in my mother’s womb…

The music faded in slowly a few minutes before the time was up. The light faded in slowly and I stretched one more time. I entered time and space again, grateful for the experience. In the same room, there is a shower, which is equipped with body wash, shampoo, and conditioner that smelled nice. I got dressed and went to another room down the hall, where I blow-dried my hair and got ready for the day. I had been told that I could chill out in a room with salt walls and warm lighting and stay however long I felt the need to. There is an offering of books and cards to read, water, and tea to sip. I was never rushed or intruded upon in any way the entire time I was there.

I planned a full day of work after my float. I changed my mind because I felt the need to take a nap. I woke up an hour later focused and energized. I also felt at peace about my brother’s passing. I have not cried or felt the trauma of his passing since then.

Much love and appreciation,
Marion Trent, Web Designer